(Photographs above by Paula Echevarria: pechez@gmail.com)

If you are a still photographer, you’re probably moving toward incorporating motion into your arsenal of marketable skills.  If you’re a videographer, you’re probably exploring the myriad possibilities opened up to you by the new 35mm DSLR video-capable cameras from Canon and Nikon.

Chapter Two of my continuing work in Overtown, one of Miami’s poorest neighborhoods – Jovan “Bonna” Lamb finds redemption and a calling as a self-taught photographer, becoming the Eye of Overtown. This video was shot as the rig evolved.

Shooting stills, I used Nikon gear for twenty years, but switched to Canon when I went fully digital in 2004; now that I’m shooting motion I use Canon’s 5D Mark II.  Colleagues use Canon’s 7D and Nikon’s D3s and swear by it, but since I’m not sure of the technical differences I’ll not get into a comparison of one system with the other. My purpose here is to simply share my particular methodology for working around the most troubling shortcoming of the 5Dm2/7D/D700 – poor inboard audio capture.

I’ve had very good results while working with the system shown here and the 5D, and I believe my ideas will also apply to other DSLR systems as well.  If you like what you see here, please share a link with your colleagues, and post links to your work in the comments section.  I will add those to the links section of the blog.

Here are the inherent issues with shooting high quality video with the 5Dm2/7D/D700:

• The inboard audio system on the cameras suck.  Even the folks at Canon/Nikon would probably agree with this statement, if a user’s goal is to create professional level video pieces;
  • It is virtually impossible to determine critical focus using the cameras’ built in LCD screens;
  • Handheld camera stabilization is difficult.

My system has the following advantages:

• Critical focus at wide apertures, in my opinion essential for quality videos, is possible;
  • Four channels of audio are available for input allows sound to be captured as stereo ambient, mono shotgun, and mono wireless lav;
  • Mics are not in direct contact with the camera body, and thus capture less camera noise;
  • The wireless lav allows excellent audio capture from a subject;
  • The C bracket doubles as a shoulder mounted stabilizer.

I honestly don’t know how I would’ve produced my recent pieces with any rig other than the one I use.  I think it’s that good.

So here are the ingredients, costs, my recipe for great video, and links for your reference:

* Because the upper 90º angle doesn’t lock in place, I’ve stabilized mine with a small L bracket, purchased at a hardware store, and gaff tape.  You may not find this necessary, but it allows me to carry the entire rig in various ways without concern that something’s going to flop about.

As I said above, I’ve found this rig to be incredibly efficient for the kind of work I do – shooting and producing short documentaries suitable for web and DVD distribution.  Depending on your style of shooting and your goals, this system may not work for you.  As they say, your mileage may vary.  :)

(I do not have a fiduciary relationship with any of the companies linked to this post.)

20 Responses to “Getting Great Sound and Stability with the Canon 5d Mark II in the Documentary Mode”

1. Maurice Rivenbark April 19, 2010 at 11:14 am #

Great solutions and ideas Stretch. Thanks for sharing. -mo

2. Danny Bull April 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Stretch,

Thanks for the valuable insight on using this system.

3. Candace Barbot April 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

Very Generous Stretch! Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

4. Anne Hamersky April 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Thanks, great to know I kept my Stroboframe for some reason. Congrats on your blog, too. Very stretchy indeed!

5. SANNI ABIODUN, July 11, 2010 at 11:01 am #

i love ur new website. Wonderful. keep it up. Very Very Stretch Photography.

6. Greg August 2, 2010 at 11:25 pm #

Extremely helpful. Thank you.

7. Ben Garvin January 31, 2012 at 10:51 am #

This was a real education for me, thanks for sharing all that you know.

8. Stretch Ledford January 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Thanks for taking time to check it out, Ben!

9. Laura December 22, 2015 at 4:45 am #

My prlobem was a wall until I read this, then I smashed it.

10. Shidiq December 22, 2015 at 5:11 am #

Though the beat of NYC pounds in me daily, I have lived in DC for 25 years now, and I reembmer seeing Alonzo Mourning as a young HS PUP, and I reembmer Coach JT Jr. telling me, Gene Smith, and Kenny Brown, that he would grow to be a great BBALL Player and Human Being. He never forgot his humble beginnings and he has done much for those who have so little.It is unfortunate his career will most likely end on this sour note, but Alonzo is Warrior and will always be in my eyes. He kept the Georgtown Big Man Tradition alive and always reached back to help the players that followed behind him. Just ask Roy Hibbert, I know he’s got a few stories for you.God bless Alonzo and get well and heal soon .

11. Good to find an expert who knows what he’s talking about!

12. http://www.blrimages.net/ April 28, 2016 at 9:12 pm #

I googled myself and found the picture. I deactivated my account, will this stop the picture from appearing on google images? If not is there anything else I can do? will tagged photos of me appear on google images as well?

13. http://www.gayfromgaylord.com/ May 17, 2016 at 6:28 am #

Hi Heather! great post and it was great seeing you at this event, you looked gorge as always and I totally am digging you skirt! AMAZE. Love all of your photos, if okay w/ you I will use the one of me on my blog (did noy get any outfit pics) and of course I will credit you!have a lovely Sunday my dear!xxari

14. http://www.maysvillepresbyterian.com/ June 4, 2016 at 9:44 pm #

Bonjour, Je dois avouer qu’habitant dans l’Est de la France, je ne connais pas les sites à guêpiers d’Europe du Finistère, bien qu’allant régulièrement dans cette région. Désolé !

15. car insurance June 5, 2016 at 5:51 am #

I believe I could see the sadness in your eyes Steven. It takes a lot of courage and sweet humanity to be vulnerable with the world. Your question and the look on your face and eyes touched me and also made me feel less isolated in my own internal battles. Tears are running down my cheeks right now as I’m just tired of everything and very sad today but also out of gratitude for you and your willingness to share so genuinely. Gosh you’re a beautiful human being. Thank you. You aren’t alone. You are loved.Eli

16. http://www.kathrynsolie.com/ June 30, 2016 at 1:29 pm #

stepandahaf / June 25, 2011No mention of a placing a realignment mark on shaft for proper grip realignment or taking club out of vice, placing head on floor , looking down grip and shaft to make sure grip is in proper alignment with head?

17. (tipsh4re) untuk perkantoran besar printer laser lebih baik, kecepatan cetak lebih tinggi harganya lebih mahal. Untuk kantor kecil printer injet sudah lumayan

18. http://lapiluleduweekend.men/ August 9, 2016 at 7:18 am #

Caroline, welcome to M & M. Your stories sound so heartwarming. And especially because I'm a Texan, I'll have to check them out.A two-time GH finalist. That's impressive. And I love that you're the mapping out your miles walked. Mary, congrats on the namesake grand baby.

19. http://www./ November 3, 2016 at 2:56 pm #

From prev postThank you Pat, PGC and Renting for your insight and advice. I passed on the link and info to my SIL. She is trying to gather more information before deciding.BUT, as always – THanks!! You guys are the best!sl

20. lebensversicherung kaufen steuer November 5, 2016 at 2:57 am #

Ouais en fait Seedfuck c’est du vent quoi…Perso j’en ai entendu parler je ne m’y suis même pas intéressé. Je télécharge que très peu et si je veux télécharger j’ai le quartier pour moi tout seul, j’ai juste à choisir chez quel voisin je veux me connecter (C’est pas gentil, mais j’m’en fous xD)